Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Melbourne's Creative Women's Circle is meeting again this Saturday.
The speaker this week shall be Shannon Lamden (you may know her from her Etsy shop Auntycookie) and afterwards a fabric swap! How exciting....I don't know about you but my fabric stash could do with a damn good clean out.
If you are in Melbourne these are the details, and remember to please email Tess (tess(at!)tessmccabe.com.au) to RSVP:
Saturday 23rd May
10am - 12midday
MARS Gallery 418 Bay St Port Melbourne
The CWC also has it's own blog now which you can check out here.
Friday, May 15, 2009
Mainichi featured today in another two lovely treasury lists on Etsy. Here they are, presented by the Treasury legend AmaliaVersaci, all in red and morewarped in orange. Other artists featured in these gorgeous treasury selections, with links to the treasury lists in the title, include LtoR:
Row 1 moxiecupcake opendoorstudio papermode
Row 2 calloohcallay GetReadySetClutch MintyFreshFusions
Row 3 artisanclay ME smashing
Row 4 novadesigns CreaShines Sigmosaics
Row 1 disconsolator BabyWhiteElephant irregularexpressions
Row 2 ME LaLaBloom astash
Row 3 MariposaAvenue hotellemotelle JennMaruskaDesign
Row 4 reVisionDesign blackbirdfashion herbanelements
Please go browsing (you can enter the username in Etsy and search that way).
Thursday, May 7, 2009
What's this?? You shall have to wait and see. A work in progress....due for completion tonight. A little recycling, a little cutting, a little stitching. Stay tuned right here for more new Mainichi creations (maybe less thrifty finds!).
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
A New Zealand made coffee pot and four matching cups....I also bought a cute Japanese made enamel saucepan which looks like it could have been part of a fondue set....but I had to leave that at the op shop to pick up later because I was $2 short....GFC is affecting everyone I guess....
Monday, May 4, 2009
I've been feeling sentimental lately reading the blog updates here and here about the Milan furniture fair.....I went to the Fiera in 2006, and it was mind boggling in size and scale. Not to mention all the parallel events that happen in the city......
So in keeping with all this "reviewing" of the fair, I'm going to give you a rundown of my favourite things at Melbourne's Designex held late last week. Not quite as glamorous as Italia, but we do have some cool stuff here too! Here they are, not in any particular order:
1. ISM Objects new lamp designed by Keith Melbourne.....soon to be added to the ISM Sparks range. Check out their website here.
2. The fluorescent label souvenired from ISM Objects, as starring in the photo above (does no justice to just how FLUORO that thing really is). The guys who created this little number you may also know from the design of this website.
3. An indoor/outdoor rug made from a synthetic grass like product in wacky bright stripes - called "Freek". Crazy name, crazy product. See more on their website here. In fact outdoor stuff was quite the thing at this years show. As was artificial grass used on display stands as flooring.
4. The "Small is Smart" house, a compact house created from a single shipping container and featuring a very groovy interior fitout, not at all claustrophobic but rather comfy looking, actually. I would love to show you photos but unfortunately the architects who created it (Fulton and Salomon) don't have any pics up on their website yet. I would like one in my backyard as a studio. And if you qualify for the first home owners grant apparently it may only cost you $1000 to create one of your own based on their drawings!! Great holiday house too....
5. New company in Australia making European style kitchens called made. for living. Their website here has some yummy photos and they have just opened a showroom off Church Street, Richmond which I am sure to be heading off to for a peek. Photo above shows the groovy little postcard pack I received at their display stand. Which by the way featured a kitchen that must be bigger than my house.
In keeping with this Milan thing, might post some photos here soon from my 2006 trip to Milan and Italy (with a stopover in Tokyo on return). Stay tuned, I know you love a slideshow, even if it's 3 years overdue.
PS. More things that I forgot to mention are here on Lucy's blog....yes Cascade Coil (I have samples from the US that I posted away for YEARS ago, thank goodness someone has finally brought it to Oz), and yes yes to Marc Pascal's gorgeous lights....
Friday, May 1, 2009
Yes, I do have lots to tell.....today I did the following, working backwards:
updated my blog...well you know that don't you!
added some new stuff to my Etsy store
broke one of my new thrifty mugs...that means off to the op shop again next week, what a shame
got cranky 'cause my boy slept for only 20minutes today instead of the usual 2 hours....no crafty time for me today
called my friend Emma to say hi, she has a new Etsy shop, take a peek
finally visited the Meet Me at Mikes shop in Brunswick St, Fitzroy
bought a coffee and muffin from the lovely MilkToast on Carlisle Street
went to the Chiropractor (think I've got some serious crafty or computer related RSI in my right arm/wrist/hand)
So now for your viewing pleasure (drumroll) I have included a photo of a recent experiment with materials that is now up for sale on my Etsy shop - the Machu brooch consisting of layers of lovely felt stitched together on my sewing machine and a cascade of coloured sticks and matchsticks stitched with my own hand, to top it all off....something to brighten a cloudy Melbourne weekend. Tomorrow is another day and I'm off to the interior design exhibition aptly titled "Designex", sans non sleeping boy....