Monday, May 4, 2009
Interior Designex 2009
I've been feeling sentimental lately reading the blog updates here and here about the Milan furniture fair.....I went to the Fiera in 2006, and it was mind boggling in size and scale. Not to mention all the parallel events that happen in the city......
So in keeping with all this "reviewing" of the fair, I'm going to give you a rundown of my favourite things at Melbourne's Designex held late last week. Not quite as glamorous as Italia, but we do have some cool stuff here too! Here they are, not in any particular order:
1. ISM Objects new lamp designed by Keith Melbourne.....soon to be added to the ISM Sparks range. Check out their website here.
2. The fluorescent label souvenired from ISM Objects, as starring in the photo above (does no justice to just how FLUORO that thing really is). The guys who created this little number you may also know from the design of this website.
3. An indoor/outdoor rug made from a synthetic grass like product in wacky bright stripes - called "Freek". Crazy name, crazy product. See more on their website here. In fact outdoor stuff was quite the thing at this years show. As was artificial grass used on display stands as flooring.
4. The "Small is Smart" house, a compact house created from a single shipping container and featuring a very groovy interior fitout, not at all claustrophobic but rather comfy looking, actually. I would love to show you photos but unfortunately the architects who created it (Fulton and Salomon) don't have any pics up on their website yet. I would like one in my backyard as a studio. And if you qualify for the first home owners grant apparently it may only cost you $1000 to create one of your own based on their drawings!! Great holiday house too....
5. New company in Australia making European style kitchens called made. for living. Their website here has some yummy photos and they have just opened a showroom off Church Street, Richmond which I am sure to be heading off to for a peek. Photo above shows the groovy little postcard pack I received at their display stand. Which by the way featured a kitchen that must be bigger than my house.
In keeping with this Milan thing, might post some photos here soon from my 2006 trip to Milan and Italy (with a stopover in Tokyo on return). Stay tuned, I know you love a slideshow, even if it's 3 years overdue.
PS. More things that I forgot to mention are here on Lucy's blog....yes Cascade Coil (I have samples from the US that I posted away for YEARS ago, thank goodness someone has finally brought it to Oz), and yes yes to Marc Pascal's gorgeous lights....